Meet The Speakers
Home > Programme > Meet The Speakers
The APFSSH 2023 Scientific Programme Committee is pleased to announce the following speakers for the 13th APFSSH, 9th APFSHT, and 8th APWA Congress.
To find out more about each speaker, please click on the pictures below.
Prof. Robert Pho
Regarded as the ‘Father’ of Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery in Singapore, Emeritus Professor Pho performed the first thumb replantation in 1977. He established the Department of Hand Reconstructive Microsurgery at the National University Hospital in 1991, and since then has been a mentor to two generations of hand surgeons in Singapore. An analytical and versatile surgeon, he is well known internationally for his expertise in the area of musculoskeletal oncology and the concept of biological limb reconstruction, in particular for live fibula transfer. He is a keen teacher, always encouraging trainees to be deeply analytical in clinical work as well as in reviewing literature as well as a mentor to many consultant surgeons, sharing his vast amount of surgical experience and know-how.
Prof. Tunku Sara
Tunku Sara Ahmad is a Malaysian Hand and Microsurgeon. She is now retired but continues some practice, teaching, research and admin.
She was the 1st Woman Orthopaedic Surgeon and President of the Orthopaedic Association in her country and a pioneer and Past President in the Malaysian Society for Surgery of the Hand. She chaired the Orthopaedic Department at the University of Malaya, Malaysia’s first Medical School, for 14 years.
She loves music, song and dance and diverse groups of friends and relatives, and struggles to be as green as she can, while running a household with nonagenarian parents.
Meet The Masters
Dr. Raja Sabapathy
Current Positions :
Chairman, Dept of Plastic Hand and Mircosurgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, India
President Elect – IFSSH
Editor in Chief – Journal of Hand Surgery (Asia Pacific)
Has 105 academic awards and invitations which include eponymous orations. has contributed 55 book chapters and 185 publications
Prof. Fu Chan Wei
Professor Fu-Chan Wei is one of the pioneers in plastic surgery and microsurgery. He heads the world’s busiest microsurgery unit that has performed in excess of 26,000 microsurgical procedures. His main contributions include: toe-to-hand transfer, the osteoseptocutaneous fibula flap, perforators and free style free flaps.
Professor Wei became Chairman of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 1994, vice superintendent in 1997 at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, and Chancellor of the College of Medicine in 2003 at Chang Gung University. During his tenure as the Chief of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, through his efforts in leading and coordination, his institution developed into a world leading microsurgical center renowned for extensive cases with an unattested high level of quality in head and neck reconstruction, facial palsy, brachial plexus, upper and lower extremity, breast and lymphedema reconstructions.
He is past President of the World Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, has published 468 research papers, 114 book chapters and 18 books. In 2012, he was elected to the Academia Sinica in Taiwan.
He remains clinically active and his current research interests are focused on developing hand and face vascular composite allotransplantation in Taiwan.
Dr. Marc Garcia-Elias
- International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand (IFSSH)
- Institut Kaplan, Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Barcelona, Spain
Co-founder and staff
- Fernando Fonseca Foundation (FFF). Medicine & Cinema”
April 2021- present: Fernando Fonseca Foundation (FFF). Medicine, Honorary President
September 2003 – 2014: Associate Editor for The Journal of Hand Surgery (American volume)
November 2002-present: Honorary Consultant Pulvertaft Hand Center, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. Derby, UK
January 1994-January 2018: Consultant Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Institut Kaplan (Hand Center). Barcelona (Spain)
January 1991-June 1996: Consultant in Orthopedics and Hand Surgery, Hospital General de Catalunya. Barcelona (Spain)
October 1992-Nov 1992: Visiting Scientist, Biomechanics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic. Rochester, Minnesota (USA)
November 1990-Dec 1990: Consultant in Orthopedics, Orthopaedics Surgery Service, Consorci Hospitalari Parc Taulí. Sabadell, Barcelona (Spain)
June 1989-Nov 1990: Chief Section, Orthopedic Surgery Service, Hospital General de Manresa, Unitat assistencial de Sant Joan de Déu. Manresa, Barcelona (Spain)
January 1987-June 1989: Visiting Scientist, Biomechanics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota (USA)
November 1983-Dec 1986: Consultant in Orthopedics and Surgery of the Hand, Hospital de Sant Joan de Déu de Manresa. Manresa, Barcelona (Spain)
July 1978-Nov 1983: Resident, Orthopedic Surgery Department, Centre Hospitalari de Manresa. Manresa, Barcelona (Spain)
Prof. Jin Bo Tang
Dr. Jin Bo Tang, an internationally acclaimed hand surgeon, is currently communications director of International Federation for Surgery of the Hand, the former editor-in-chief of The Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume), and professor, and chair of the Department of Hand Surgery at Nantong University in China. He founded a clinical hand surgery center in Nantong, and also leads an active laboratory, The Hand Surgery Research Center in Nantong, Jiangsu, China. His major research areas include biomechanics and clinical primary flexor tendon repair, wide-awake hand surgery, and basic science of application of molecular therapy and related controlled release system. Dr Tang is a prolific and active investigator. He authored over 200 publications in English in clinical and basic science journals and have 250 publications in Chinese. His work has changed the clinical practice of flexor tendon repairs. He lectured worldwide in major hand surgery congresses. He sits on a number of international committees of hand surgery and is considered one of active and leading hand surgeons internationally.
Lunch Symposia Speakers
DR. Christopher Dy
Christopher Dy (pronounced DEE) is an orthopedic hand surgeon at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, USA. He is the director of the hand and microsurgery fellowship, has both clinical and research specializations in brachial plexus and peripheral nerve surgery, and co-hosts the popular hand surgery podcast “The Upper Hand”.
Prof. Edward Mah
Ted Mah is a Hand & Upper Limb surgeon practising in Adelaide, Australia. Ted completed his post fellowship hand surgery training at the Kleinert Institute, Louisville, Kentucky, USA. He is the inaugural President of APOA Hand & Upper Limb Society (2020-2). Ted is a Past President of APOA (2014-6) and Chair of APOA Awards & Nomination (2018-20). Ted Mah continues to contribute his leadership roles in many government and non-government organisations. He is the current Chair of MAC for Adelaide Day Surgery, and Presiding officer for IME for SAET, Dept Treasury & Finance South Australian Gov; a Councillor of AMA, an advisor to state and federal Dept of Health and Welbeing, and immediate past Chair of Dept Orthopaedics & Trauma, NALHN, SA Health. Ted has contributed as Past Chair of APOA(Aus), a Board Director of Aus OA; Director of Training, Ortho Outreach; Head of Hand Surgery Service, TQEH; President of SA Hand Surgery Society and President of Aus Chinese Medical Assoc etc. T Mah is the Deputy Editor for Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and sits on Editorial Board for 6 other International journals. Ted Mah has received numerous national and international awards including Honorary Fellowships from APOA, EFORT and Turkish OA.
Dr. Poh Pei Kee
Dr Poh is a consultant anaesthetist at National University Hospital, Singapore. He graduated and completed his anaesthesia training in the UK, which has helped shape his views on the importance of protecting the environment in the healthcare workplace. He is the current chair for OT sustainability within his institution and sits on the exco of the Singapore Society of Anaesthesiologists. He has 2 lovely daughters and hopes to be able to play his part in creating a better future for them.
- Mr Mohd Azam Abdul Halim, Institut Latihan Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia Sungai Buloh Malaysia & UiTM Puncak Alam, Malaysia
- Assoc. Prof. Shalimar Abdullah, National University of Malaysia, Malaysia
- Dr. Yukio Abe, Saiseikai Shimonoseki General Hospital, Japan
- Dr. Roberto Adani, Department of Hand and Microsurgery University of Modena, Italy
- Dr. Amir Adham Ahmad, Prince Court Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Dr. Sharifah Roohi Ahmad, Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Dr. Tanveer Ahmed, Sheikh Hasina National Institute Of Burn And Plastic Surgery, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Dr. Md Sohaib Akhtar, Neotia Getwel Multispeciality Hospital, India
- Prof. Manohar Arumugam, University Putra Malaysia, Malaysia
- Dr. Andrea Atzei, PRO-Mano Hand Surgery & Rehabilitation Team, Italy
- Prof. Goo Hyun Baek, Seoul National University Hospital, Republic of Korea
- Prof. Gregory Bain Flinders, University Of South Australia, Australia
- Dr. Eva-Maria Baur, Iwas; Dgh, Germany
- Mr Anthony Berger, Victorian Hand Surgery Associates, Australia
- Dr. Praveen Bhardwaj, Ganga Hospital, India
- Prof. Anil.K Bhat, Department of Hand Surgery, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
- Ahmad Yazid Bin Jus, Singapore
- Prof. Randipsingh Bindra, Griffith University
- Mrs Peggy Boineau, Houston Methodist Hospital, United States
- Dr. Michael Boland, University Of Auckland, New Zealand
- Dr. Henry Calleja, St. Luke’s Medical Center, Philippines
- Dr. Chung Ming Chan, National University Hospital (NUH), Singapore
- Dr. Ping Tak Chan, Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong
- Dr. Anirban Chatterjee, Medica Superspecialty Hospital, India
- Dr. Andre Cheah, National University Hospital, Singapore
- Miss Zhiqing Chen, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
- Prof. Shanlin Chen, Beijing Jishuitan Hospital, China
- Dr. Hsiao-ju Cheng, Singapore-ETH Centre, Singapore
- Dr. Darryl Chew, Department of Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
- Dr. Dawn Chia, Sengkang General Hospital, Singapore
- Dr. Harvey Chim, University Of Florida, College Of Medicine, United States
- Dr. Andrew Chin, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
- Assoc. Prof. Alphonsus Chong, National University Of Singapore, Singapore
- Dr. Muntasir Mannan Choudhury, Sengkang General Hospital, Singapore
- Dr. Esther Ching-San Chow, United Christian Hospital, Hong Kong
- Dr. Mary Chu, Rehabilitation Consultants, Hong Kong
- Prof. Kevin Chung, University of Michigan, United States
- Michel Coppieters, Australia
- Dr. Aaron Daluiski, Hospital For Special Surgery, United States
- Dr. Soumen Das De, National University Health System, Singapore
- Prof. Charles Day, Henry Ford Health, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, United States
- Prof. Kazuteru Doi, Ogori Daiichi General Hospital, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Japan
- Dr Jeffrey Ecker, Wrist + Hand Institute, Hand + Upper Limb Centre, Australia
- Prof. Eugene Ek, Melbourne Orthopaedic Group, Australia
- Dr. Emmanuel Estrella, University of the Philippines Manila, Philippines
- Dr. Sarah Ewald, City Handtherapie, Switzerland
- Dr. Margaret Fok Queen Mary Hospital, The University Of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Mr Ho Fan Fong, Jerry Heep Hong Society, HKSHT Hong Kong
- Assoc. Prof. Duretti Fufa, Hospital for Special Surgery, United States
- Prof. Keiji Fujio, Osaka Global Orthopaedic Hospital, Japan